Round-up: Essex Senior League (Fri 19/Sat 20 Oct) [ESL 21.10.18]

Essex Senior League

Written by Scott W (Twitter: @ScottMHC14)

Hello and welcome to my round-up of the weekend’s ESL action. How did your side do this weekend?


Friday 19th October

Sporting Bengal Utd  4 – 2  Clapton  | Mile End | Att: 79

Bengal kicked off the weekend’s action with a rousing comeback victory at mile End. The Tons started the match brightly as they opened up a two-goal cushion thanks to Eusebio Da Silva [5′] and Jeffrey Cobblah [25′] strikes. The hosts responded immediately through Jay Knight though saved their best for the last 25 minutes as Knight got his second on 65 minutes, before goals from recent signing Jason Ngandu [75′] and Steven Carvell [85′] turned the tide and saw Bengal to their 5th win in 6 matches and rise to 6th place. Clapton have lost three out of their last five now.


Saturday 20th October

Hoddesdon Town  1 – 1  Barkingside   | Lowfield  | Att: 93

Hoddesdon were held by a resilent Barkingside performance at Lowfield. Harry Bushell’s 9th-minute goal gave Simon Riddle’s side the lead though ‘Side responded a minute later through Antoine Akinola and more importantly battled on to get their first point since mid-August in the league. Hodd extend their unbeaten run to nine matches.

Ilford  0 – 2  Takeley    | Cricklefield  | Att: 42

Takeley struck late on to overturn a three-match losing run. Charlie Cole was the hero with a lace brace [86′ & 90’+6] which overcame their gritty hosts here, who have lost three of their last five league matches as Ilf look to stay in the top ten.

Redbridge  1 – 2  St Margaretsbury  | Oakside  | Att: 56

‘Home comforts’ continue to elude the Motormen as they fell to defeat to St Margs at Oakside. Prolific scorer Charncey Dash struck again for his side just four minutes in, before Dan Ferringo pretty much sealed the win with ten minutes remaining. Patrick Duggan’s injury-time consolation did little to alter the result as Ricky Eaton & Joey may’s side have lost five of their last seven matches in the league. For St Margs, they go above their opponents into 14th spot.

Stansted  5 – 0  Leyton Athletic  | Hargrave Park  | Att: 36

Stansted blew away Leyton in the second-half to claim the points at Hargrave Park. After a goal-less first hour, Callum Ibe struck on that hour mark, before Connor Hammond [71′ & Ibe’s second [73′] took the game away from Glen Kendall’s side. Paul Clayton [80′] and Jack West [85′] ‘got in on the act’ with strikes late on as The Airportmen notched their seventh win in eight matches to go back to the summit on goal difference. Leyton’s third loss in their last five sees them drop to third-bottom.

Stanway Rovers  2 – 1  Hullbridge Sports   | Hawthorns | Att: 63

Stanway produced a fine performance to send Hullbridge to only their second defeat this term. Rovers led on ten minutes through Toby Blanche, and the Rovers forward pounced again nine minutes before half-time to leave Sports up against it. Nathan Scarborough halved the deficit on 43 minutes though Rovers battled on to claim their third win of the season – all 3 have come at home thus far. ‘Bridge drop back to second n goal difference but are still in a excellent position.

Tower Hamlets  2 – 2  West Essex   | Mile End  | Att: 35

West continued their recent run of scoring late goals as they held Hamlets at Mile End. Symeon Taylor put the visitors ahead on 13 minutes. Hamlets responded with two quick-fire goals through Luke With [44′] and Oseman Usifah moments later. The final turn of the match happened a minute from time as Izzy Ogedi-Uzokwe’s strike grabbed a point for his side and retain their recent decent run of form. Hamlets have only won 2 of their last seven now.

Walthamstow  2 – 0  Southend Manor  | Kitchener Road  | Att: 47

‘Stow battled to victory over out-of-form Manor thanks to James Peagram’s spot-kick five minutes after half-time and a late goal from Craig Pope [88’]. Ryan Maxwell’s side have won four of their last six matches as they stay third while Manor’s tough patch continues with one win in their last eight matches.

Woodford Town  1 – 2  Saffron Walden Town  | Harlow Arena  | Att: 285

Finally, Saffron Walden emerged from this battle with another win in front of nearly 300 fans at the Harlow Arena. Craig Calver broke the deadlock on 19 minutes to give the Bloods the lead. That advantage only lasted 15 minutes before Connor Leon levelled though in-form forward Dan Trendall had the last word  as he struck the winner with three minutes left to extend SWT’s unbeaten run to five matches, staying in fourth spot while also ending Woodford’s own five-match unbeaten stretch as they drop to seventh.

That is all for this week. Thank you for reading.


Author: survivor16b

I'm a Mental Health survivor (been surviving for years) & campaigner. I also like Music & Sport. This blog is centred on all things Non-League Football, mainly Match Reports of matches I've seen (mainly Essex Senior League (ESL) but also other Leagues) though it also houses the regular round-up's of the ESL action plus the Essex Olympian League divisions regularly. It also has the odd post about the scary world that we're all in, talking from a Mental Health perspective. Thank you for reading.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: