Match Report: Stansted 0 – 1 Takeley (The FA Cup Prelim Rd – Sun 26th Aug) [FAC PR 26.8.18]

The FA Cup Prelim Round (Season 2018-19)

Venue: Woodside Park

Attendance: 207

2018-19 Season – Match 10

Sunday 26th August 2018  – 2pm KO

Stansted: Royal Blue Shirts, Royal Blue Shorts, Royal Blue Socks

Takeley: Red Shirts, Red Shorts, Red Socks

Takeley overcome a spirited Stansted effort at Woodside Park

Report by Scott W (Twitter: ScottMHC14) with additional photos by Peter D (Twitter: @ped1980)

The FA Cup Prelim Round weekend continued with this Sunday encounter at Bishop’s Stortford’s Woodside Park, given that Stansted’s Hargrave Park home is still tied up due to the Cricket season. Takeley have started the league season very well and were heavily backed pre-match. Marc Das’ team saw Matt Gill continuing in goal, Bryn Thorpe at centre-back and the familar front three of Stuart Zanone leading the line with George Wappett and Mitchell Das providing the support from the flanks. Charlie Cole and Matt Hurley were among the substitutes.

For Stansted, Paul Pittuck & Marc Benterman’s side were led in attack by ex-Takeley forward Carl Mullings with Callum Ibe, Jordan Palmer and Jack Folan just behind him.

The game got underway in the dreary drizzle more associated with Autumn though in the early stages, the visitors showed their intent with crosses that fizzed wide of the six-yard area followed by chances through midfielder George Pullen which was gathered by Stansted goalkeeper Charlie Turner and tricky winger Mitchell Das’ free-kick which sailed over the woodwork. Carl Mullings had the hosts’ best early chance which Takeley custodian Matt Gill parried over the bar.

One critical moment of this match came as early as the 14th minute as Turner rushed out of his goal and clattered into Das on the Takeley right, which prompted referee Mark Pond to issue a straight red card without hesitation. Midfielder Jack Smith had to take on the goalie’s gloves given that the Airportmen had no specialist ‘keeper on the bench.

At this point you may have thought that Takeley will pile on the goals with a man advantage. What did follow what a wave of chances for the visitors to break the deadlock as Pullen, winger George Wappett and captain Jason Todd couldn’t find the target. The Airportmen still posed a threat of their own with Mullings leading the line manfully. Just after the half hour, visiting centre-back Bryn Thope made a good challenge on winger Jordan Palmer to deny the hosts a decent chance at goal.

The tempo was building in the latter stages of the half as the visitors couldn’t quite find that final ball to bypass the home defence. On 37 minutes, a lovely delivery from the right by Das was headed wide by Wappett though on the brink of half-time, on a semi-rare foray forward, full-back Courtney Homans and skipper Billy Coyne shot wide for Stansted.

Half-Time: Stansted   0 – 0   Takeley

As the second-half petered into life, the conditions worsened as the rain poured down. In the early-going after the break, the hosts had fleeting moments of joy going forward though winger Callum Ibe and Mullings couldn’t find a way past Gill. Takeley had brought on Charlie Cole at half-time to assist Zanone in piercing the hosts’ typically stubborn defence.

Just after the hour, the visitors finally took the lead as Zanone’s ball in from just outside the penalty box was mis-controlled by a home defender, allowing Das to nip in and slot home past stand-in ‘keeper Smith. Soon after, the visitors had a goal ruled out for off-side, Zanone the man denied from Wappett’s teasing ball in.

In the latter stages, Takeley should really have sealed the contest though substitute Matt Hurley’s effort was denied and Zanone blasted a drive high into the stand. To be fair to Stansted, their work rate was very good considering the circumstances and they refused to wilt and might have snatched a replay as substitute Jamie Bennett found himself one-on-one with Gill though the ‘stopper snuffed out his shot.

Full-Time: Stansted   0 – 1  Takeley

Takeley did deserve to win through though it could have been a considerably easier afternoon for the league leaders, had their finishing been better. Congrats to Takeley on their victory regardless and best wishes to Stansted for the rest of the season. Thank you also to Stansted & Bishop’s Stortford for their hospitality as well today. Good food does help on days such as this.

Thanks also to Essex Senior League President Rob Errington.


Stansted   | Joint-Managers: Paul Pittuck & Marc Benterman

Charlie Turner (GK), Courtney Homans, Lee Hurkett (Oliver Bell 84′), Paul Clayton, Billy Coyne (Capt), Callum Ibe, Sam West, Jack Smith, Carl Mullings (Jamie Bennett 78′), Jack Folan, Jordan Palmer (Julien Lloyd 70′)

Sent Off: Turner  | Subs Not Used: Thomas, Carvelho

Takeley   |  Manager: Marc Das

Matt Gill (GK), Mason Page, Kyan Russell, Bryn Thorpe, Michael Castle, Freddie Burrell (Charlie Cole 46′), George Pullen (Matt Hurley 80′), Jason Todd (Capt), Stuart Zanone, Mitchell Das, George Wappett (Olly Miles 78′)

Goal-scorer: Mitchell Das [63′]

Booked: Thorpe   |  Subs Not Used: Humphrey, Sosanya, Oatham, C Miles


Author: survivor16b

I'm a Mental Health survivor (been surviving for years) & campaigner. I also like Music & Sport. This blog is centred on all things Non-League Football, mainly Match Reports of matches I've seen (mainly Essex Senior League (ESL) but also other Leagues) though it also houses the regular round-up's of the ESL action plus the Essex Olympian League divisions regularly. It also has the odd post about the scary world that we're all in, talking from a Mental Health perspective. Thank you for reading.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: