Match Report: West Essex 1 – 2 Great Wakering Rovers (FAV 23.9.17)

The FA Vase Second Qualifying Round

Venue: Mayesbrook Park

2017-18 Season – Match 23

Saturday 23rd September 2017 3pm KO

West Essex: Red & Black Striped Shirts, Black Shorts, Red Socks

Great Wakering Rovers: Green & White Shirts, Green Shorts, Green Socks

Scott W reporting (Twitter: @ScottMHC14)

On a decent afternoon at Mayesbrook Park, West Essex welcomed fellow ESL side Great Wakering Rovers in this FA Vase Second Qualifying Round tie. Wakering kept the same starting XI that won in league action last weekend.

Wakering did start the match the stronger of the two sides, with winger Billy Johnson giving an early indication of the threat he posed by having two efforts on goal, though they were off-target. Only ten minutes in, Wakering forward Jake Gordon was in prime position to shoot on goal though was adjudged to have been brought down by home defender Koki Appiah, who was subsequently given a straight red card by referee Simmons. The decision certainly ticked off the home side and it was arguably a controversial one to send Appiah off.

Anyhow, Gordon dusted himself down and took the spot-kick himself, duly converting it to give the visitors the lead soon after. West Essex showed their spirit again though as two minutes later, the ten-men were level as Joe Lefley’s free-kick from the right evaded everyone and nestled into the left corner.

The visitors were buoyed on by the equaliser though couldn’t find the target on 18 minutes as Johnson’s strike hit a post then forward Neil Richmond inexplicably missed a tap-in, following up. In the next period of the match, Wakering midfielder Jason Ring and Gordon were denied by home goalkeeper Dan Russell. What followed was not something the home defence will want to remember anytime soon. Hesitant defending from West Essex pair Daniel Christey and Sanchez Hardy led to a poor clearance which Richmond seized on and calmly rolled the ball past Russell to put Iain O’Connell’s side back ahead on 28 minutes.

Again, West Essex responded as a minute later as forward Michael Mignot’s goal-bound drive was tipped wide by visiting goalkeeper Rees Hawkins. Eight minutes before the break, home manager Kwame Kwateng was sent to the stands for arguing with the officials. Wakering really should have been further ahead by half-time as with six minutes to play before the break, Johnson’s left-wing cross found Richmond all alone in the area though the forward blazed his shot over.

Half-Time: West Essex 1 – 2 Great Wakering Rovers

The hosts had the first chance after the break as from Lefley’s corner, substitute Josh French headed over the bar. Gordon shot wide near the hour-mark as Wakering realized they were not ‘home & dry’ just yet in this encounter. On the whole though, the second half was less frantic than the first. Johnson was denied in the area by West Essex defender Josh Kane’s tackle with 19 minutes to play. The hosts continued to seek another leveller and with 12 minutes left, substitute Cameron Gray’s corner found captain Tom MacLeod though his headed hit the crossbar.

Wakering did hold on to secure their place in the First Round Proper of the competition though certainly could’ve scored more today. West Essex will undoubtedly point to the early sending-off as a turning point though weren’t quite at their best, perhaps this being their third match in a week maybe took its toll a bit.

FT:   West Essex       1 – 2     Great Wakering Rovers

Lefley 14’                   Gordon (pen) 12, Richmond 28’


West Essex

Manager: Kwame Kwateng

Great Wakering Rovers

Manager: Iain O’Connell

1  Daniel Russell (GK) 1  Rees Hawkins  (GK)
23  Sanchez Hardy   (Subbed 83’) 2  Charlie Seaden        (Subbed 46’)
3  Josh Kane 3  Oliver Woodhouse
4  Tom MacLeod  (C) 4  Scott Pethers  (C)
16  Koki Appiah 5  Louis Robinson
6  Daniel Christey 6  Samuel Carter         (Subbed 84’)
7  Michael Mignot 7  Jason Ring
8  Brad Russell 8  Ricky Evans
9  Tom Woodbridge   (Subbed 57’) 9  Neil Richmond
10  Joe Lefley 10  Jake Gordon          (Subbed 64’)
24  Fatos Zeqiri          (Subbed 46’) 11  Billy Johnson


5  Nick Walk 12  Jimmy Cook
14  Josh French          (On 46’) 14  Stephen Butterworth   (On 46’)
11  Cameron Gray     (On 57’) 15  Aaron Russell                 (On 64’)
17  Isaac Marfo          (On 83’) 16  Christopher Bryan         (On 84’)
17  Joe Nightingill


A. Simmons
Assistant Referees:

E. McKenzie
A. Knight

Booked: MacLeod, Wodbridge, Lefley Booked: Richmond, Evans
Sent Off: Appiah



Author: survivor16b

I'm a Mental Health survivor (been surviving for years) & campaigner. I also like Music & Sport. This blog is centred on all things Non-League Football, mainly Match Reports of matches I've seen (mainly Essex Senior League (ESL) but also other Leagues) though it also houses the regular round-up's of the ESL action plus the Essex Olympian League divisions regularly. It also has the odd post about the scary world that we're all in, talking from a Mental Health perspective. Thank you for reading.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: