Essex Senior League, FA Cup 2QR (ESL) & EOFL round-up (17.9.17)

Written by Scott W (Twitter: @ScottMHC14)

Hello & welcome to my round-up of the action from the Essex Senior League, Essex Olympian League (Premier-Division Two) that took place this weekend & this week, also mentioning the FA Cup 2nd Quali Round match: F8C Romania v Hayes & Yeading Utd. Enjoy.

Friday 15th September

Essex Senior League

Barkingside 1 – 2  Redbridge

Venue: Cricklefield    | Attendance: 165

Redbridge edged their former tenants at Cricklefield. After a goalless opening half, Shaun Harris put the Motormen ahead three minutes after the break. Michael Ogboin levelled for Michael Walther’s side with 24 minutes remaining before a fortunate winner from Calvin Poku sealed the points for Ricky Eaton & Joey May’s side & record their fourth win of the season.

If you’d like more about this match – my match report is here:

Tower Hamlets  3 – 1   Wadham Lodge        

Venue: Mile End Stadium   | Attendance: 57

Hamets continued their fine recent league run with a win at Mile End. Mata Julio put the hosts ahead on 28 minutes, before a spot-kick from Luke With five minutes prior to half-time put them two-up at the break. Wale Odedoyin struck midway through the second half to seal the points before Wadham got a late consolation from Joe Pattison with two minutes left to play. Hamlets held on well to grab their fourth win of the season and sit 6th in the table after all the other weekend matches.

Saturday 16th September

Essex Senior League

Basildon Utd   1 – 2   Enfield 1893            

Venue: The Hive   | Attendance: 109

Enfield upset Basildon at the Hive to claim all three points and end the Bees’ unbeaten start to the ESL season. A second-half double by Carl Mullings (66’ & 76’) put Matt Hanning’s side in the drivers’ seat before Ash Blackburn pulled one back for the hosts with six minutes left. Marc Harrison’s side drop to second though have still made a superb start to the campaign. Enfield’s second win of the campaign sees them in 18th place.

Clapton 1 – 0 Burnham Ramblers   

Venue: Old Spotted Dog    | Attendance: 67

Clapton picked up a narrow but nonetheless important win at the OSD. Ikem Odeh scored the only goal four minutes before the break. After the break, Clapton had Quincy Egbejale dismissed. Goalkeeper Mark Kavanagh saved a penalty well soon after to assist his side getting their second win of the season from six matches. Burnham remain second bottom after what seemed to be a frustrating afternoon for Lee Hughes’ side.

Great Wakering Rovers  2 – 0  Ilford

Venue: Burroughs Park   |     Attendance: 71

Wakering comfortably defeated the Foxes at Burroughs Park. Neil Richmond put Rovers ahead six minutes in. Scott Pethers got the second twenty minutes later as Ilford faltered. Wakering’s 5th win this term sees them rise to third spot, while Ilford’s fourth loss in their eight matches thus far sees them in 9th place.

If you’d like more about this match, my match report is here:

Southend Manor  3 – 4  West Essex

Venue: Southchurch Park   |    Attendance: 31

West Essex came from behind to snatch a late win in a pulsating match at Southchurch Park. Daniel Okah put Manor ahead on the half-hour. The visitors responded through talisman forward Michael Mignot five minutes into the second half. Manor put some daylight between the sides after Jacob Cleaver netted a second-half brace (57’ & 71’) though West Essex pulled back level again at 3-3 through goals from Tom MacLeod (80’) and Mignot’s second (83’) though Tom Woodbridge settled it at the death. Apparently, there were four red cards in this match, Manor finished with eight men and W Essex ten men.

Stansted  1 – 3  Woodford Town (2017)   

Venue: Hargrave Park    | Attendance: 27

Stansted were hit by a Woodford comeback at Hargrave Park. Jack Sykes had given the hosts the lead after 21 minutes. Town responded through Andre Bennett 15 minutes later. And then a late, late double from Asher Modeste sealed all three points for the Broxbourne-based side.

Takeley  4 – 1  Hackney Wick

Venue: Station Road   |     Attendance: 49

Takeley comfortably overcame Wick to continue their 100% start to the season. Stuart Zanone gave the hosts the lead on the quarter-hour, before Jason Todd made it two, two minutes before the break. Three minutes after the restart, Todd got his second of the afternoon. Saico Djop got a consolation for Tolga Dervish’s side five minutes from time. The hosts weren’t done though as Mitchell Das grabbed a fourth three minutes later.

Fellow Non-League blogger Peter Dudley was at the match & here’s his report:

Waltham Forest  2 – 3  Sporting Bengal Utd

Venue:  Kitchener Road    |    Attendance: 37

Bengal struck late, late onto claim all three points at Kitchener Road. Steven Carvell put Imrul Gazi’s side ahead on 34 minutes. Oscar Mendes doubled the lead six minutes later. Aniola Tanimowo got one back three minutes before the break. With 11 minutes left, Chris Medina thought he’d given Forest a point though Carvell struck in injury-time to claim a good win for Sporting.

Sunday 17th September

The FA Cup Second Qualifying Round

FC Romania 2 – 2 Hayes & Yeading Utd   

Venue: Theobalds Lane       |    Attendance: 168

FC Romania were denied a famous win late-on by Step 4 side Hayes & Yeading at Theobalds Lane. Rohdell Gordon put Hayes & Yeading ahead ten minutes in, before Florin Pop levelled 18 minutes later. Toby Cleaver struck four minutes into the second half to put FCR ahead, though the hosts were down to ten men late on and Manny Doku scored from the spot with seven minutes left to give the visitors another chance in midweek to book their place in the next round.


Essex Olympian League

Saturday 16th September

Premier Division

 Basildon Town  0 – 4 May & Baker E.C  | Venue: Gardiners Way

Bishop’s Stortford Swifts  0 – 1  Frenford  | Venue: Silver Leys

Canning Town 0 – 4 Harold Wood Athletic   | Venue: Albatross Close

Manford Way  4 – 1 Rayleigh Town  |  Venue: Forest Road

Springfield 2 – 2  Kelvedon Hatch   |  Venue: Springfield Hall Park

White Ensign 3 – 1  Leigh Ramblers   | Venue: The Len Forge Centre


Senior Division One

Harold Hill 2 – 7 Buckhurst Hill

Hutton  3 – 0  Great Baddow

Newbury Forest  1 – 0  Shenfield AFC

Runwell Sports  0 – 3  FC Hamlets

Snaresbrook  0 – 0  Old Chelmsfordians

Sungate  3 – 1  Galleywood


Senior Division Two

 Benfleet  2 – 2  Toby

Herongate Athletic 3 – 1 Ramsden Scotia

May & Baker E.C Res  H – W  Rochford Town

(Rochford Town couldn’t raise a side)

Newham Utd  2 – 0  Ryan

Ongar Town  3 – 2  Upminster

Rayleigh Town Res  2 – 2 A1 Sports


Author: survivor16b

I'm a Mental Health survivor (been surviving for years) & campaigner. I also like Music & Sport. This blog is centred on all things Non-League Football, mainly Match Reports of matches I've seen (mainly Essex Senior League (ESL) but also other Leagues) though it also houses the regular round-up's of the ESL action plus the Essex Olympian League divisions regularly. It also has the odd post about the scary world that we're all in, talking from a Mental Health perspective. Thank you for reading.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: